Posted: December 10, 2020
Job Description for Friends' Position
The Friends of the Shiawassee River has an opening for an Event/Communications Coordinator. The current Friends’ team consists of two, part-time staff – an Executive Director (20 hours/week) and an Education/Membership Coordinator (12 hours/week) and an active, 11-member board of directors.
Applicants must have experience in general networking, marketing, and events, in person and virtual meeting production and execution or relevant experience in production of live events and event management. Successful candidates must be committed to very high quality control standards, quick turnaround times and tight deadlines. Core competencies include working in a non-profit environment, managing multiple simultaneous projects, strong attention to detail, excellent communication and marketing abilities, customer service and technology skills, the ability to use standard office computer systems, and working under pressure while being a collaborative team player.
This position reports to the Executive Director of the Friends.
● Event Coordinator – Coordinate all phases of planning and executing live, virtual and hybrid programs in conjunction with Executive Director and board team champions.
● Communications/Marketing Management – Manage communications and marketing strategies for all Friends’ programs. Build relationships with partners, other targeted community non-profits, and businesses.
● Website – Update current and develop new website content – especially in relation to relevant programming and other efforts of the Friends. Ensure accuracy of content.
● Board Assistance and Archival Duties – Assist with the development and archiving of board materials.
● Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience | Networking and Marketing background a plus
● Strong relationship building skills
● Ability to successfully partner with team members in planning and execution of events and be responsible to effectively market and manage assigned events
● Experience working with non-profit organizations – including boards of directors
● Knowledge of virtual and in-person event technology
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Excellent time management skills to handle projects that have long and short lead times
● Collaborative "team player" orientation
● Flexibility in work hours; weekends, including Saturday, Sunday, holidays
● Knowledge of event trends relating to cultural events
● High level of computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Facebook, Instagram, and virtual platforms - database management background a plus-
Time Type: Part-time – 15 hours/week to begin
Other: Friends of the Shiawassee River is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
To Apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and resume/CV via email to email@example.com or via snail mail to Friends of the Shiawassee River, P.O. Box 402, Owosso, MI 48867.